Sunday, January 8, 2017

A Taste of WILD ROAD HOME, coming soon, spring release!

Sharkstooth Peak 

Prologue
Six days until my Alaska departure. Thus far I had scribbled my name across divorce papers, cashed CDs and traded my lavender Toyota truck for a trailer-towing V-8 Ford. Beauty for brawn. Packing boxes choked off my mountain view as I checked Verizon coverage in remote places. I roused, stepped onto the balcony and gazed at distant Sharkstooth Peak. Enough already! I hopped around a cardboard box, grabbed my pack and headed one last time into the Colorado high country.
The air was eerily warm for early June. Up, up I climbed, through the virginal green of newly-leafed aspen; across rushing streams of snowmelt and mountain meadows lush with marsh marigold.  Then just like that, tree line ended and I emerged into barren expanse. Exposed. The air thinned as exhilaration took hold. Ah yes, there it was again, that invincible woman-alive feeling, the connection with infinite possibility. I stared up at the twelve thousand foot saddle and caught my breath. Two-hundred feet to go – almost there – the trail disappeared under snow. I treaded gingerly across the sun-softened drifts, ten steps from solid ground when I sank through to my crotch. Mountains were ripe with metaphor. I struggled free with my hiking stick and trudged on up the steep slope.
I set my soggy self below Sharkstooth's craggy point; beheld familiar peaks south to New Mexico and west to my beloved Sangre de Cristos. I opened my water bottle, gave the first drink to the mountain and took a swig. Then I stood, feet apart, arms upraised and faced northwest, to Alaska and the nameless future before me. Praise be, I uttered, here I come.
Quests have no itinerary. I didn’t know if my tracks heading north would be there to follow when I returned south. Perhaps, like this day, they would melt into the earth, diminutive amidst nature's grandeur. Of this I was certain: a quest was little about reaching the door and everything about walking through the doorway. Stripped of the roles and rituals born of habit and protection, one traveled naked as a newborn. Light and darkness shaped the shadows, illuminating the way, one holy, hell-bent moment at a time.





8 comments:

  1. Nice to see you are still writing your next book and traveling the west. Your stint at the lighthouse was very interesting and with great photos. Thank you. When I hiked more in the Colorado mountains, we called those soft spots in the snow Elephants Holes, where your leg can fall in very deep. Often occurred near a hidden boulder that had more warmth. Have fun on your travels. I look forward to future updates and those great photos. Hope Teak and Hobo are enjoying life. Take care!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. elephant holes! that's about right. Thanks so much for writing. xo

      Delete
  2. Hell bent for the wild, eh? Sounds like a great read. Can't wait to see what the cover looks like, to read your wild tale and grok your great revelations. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goddess willing we'll be able to do that SOON. The subtitle is Genes, Grit and Glory. Hell bent for sure. xo

      Delete