Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Bad Blogger, BAD

I admit to blogger's guilt. It's been way too long since I posted. Does dumping my FS truck into a 3 foot crevice count for an excuse? I'd been so proud of my monsoon driving record. I was one of the few who didn't get stuck, slip off the caliche-slick road or get wiped out by a wall of water in a wash. No, I was sailing, watching the sky and dodging storms for weeks. It took a perfectly azure sky and sunshine to send me into a hole on the Hell Point Road. (Ya, I'm sure the insurance folks loved that name.) I rolled around a corner at about 5 mph in 4-WD and bushes had blocked a washout. My right front tire fell of the cliff, followed by the right back. Followed by a trip to the chiro and a mild concussion. It happened to be the full moon. And on that same day another rec tech was rear-ended and another guy in our office sprained his ankle.

This dip into the earth corresponded with a deadline (of course) on a major article I've been writing on the Granite Mountain Hotshots. And the arrival of an old friend I hadn't seen in ages.

I now nurse a very stiff neck. These things take time and patience never was my MO. But the migration of hundreds of ducks through Arizona provides a winged massage. Yesterday morn I witnessed a lake full of wingbeats scatter from all shores and inlets of Willow Lake. I stood still as a heron as a bald eagle swept oer the water. The ducks formed a flotilla, grouped in one tight amoeba-like circle -- right below the eye of the bald eagle who was perched above on the rock. The circle slowly floated off to the east as the eagle looked beyond for the proverbial lone duck.

The equinox has come and gone. This morning I stepped outside at 5:00 a.m. to satin-soft air. I didn't think twice, as I began to build a fire. Morning fires are one of my favorite rituals and my new location provides a stunning, rock and pine backdrop. Espresso, journal and dawn-lapping flame...

My chiro is perfecto, sending me off with a series of neck strengthening exercises. I found out today that I have the option of working my FS job longer than I'd planned. And I feel spring in the air as fall descends. I'm thinking it might be time to try love again, as in partner possibility. It's been awhile. May be that dive shook more loose than a few vertebrae. May be a full-moon journey to Hell Point was just what the Dr. ordered. Or maybe I suffer from temporary insanity.

______________________________________


I recently traveled to Flagstaff where Rick Steves interviewed me for three separate programs. Stay tuned for broadcast dates!

Please, if you haven't gone onto Amazon to review my books I would greatly appreciate a visit from you.

And don't forget to check out my latest website: www.christinanealson

Blessings, and thanks for showing up. Christina



No comments:

Post a Comment